Civil Union Records
Click Appropriate Button to Order Online
Ordering Online: Ordering Online: Please note that all online orders for birth, civil union, marriage and death records must be accompanied by a copy of your written signature and a copy of your valid Driver's License or acceptable ID. If you do not supply us with the necessary documentation within three (3) business days your order will be canceled. Our fax number is (217)384-1241 and our email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Who May Obtain Civil Union License Copies (Certificates):
- Anyone may obtain a copy of the front side of a civil union license.
- Only the partners in the union may obtain a copy of the back side of the civil union license.
- A copy of both sides of the license may be obtained if it is over 50 years old and being requested for genealogical purposes.
2. Identification Required:
Valid driver's license or acceptable ID. Faxed or emailed copy of identification and written signature required for online orders. We must see original certified court documents pertaining to any legal matters such as a legal name change or legal guardianship. Documents will be returned when order is processed.
Acceptable Forms of Identification to Obtain Vital Records
One of the following:
- Illinois Driver's License
- Illinois State Identification Card
- IL FOID Card (Firearm Owner ID)
- Out-Of-State Driver's License or State Identification Card
- US Government Driver's License
- Naturalization Certification
- US Military Identification Card
- US Immigration Card
- Selective Service Card
- Matricula Card issued by the Mexican Consulate
- CU MTD Bus Pass Card
Or one from each of the following two categories:
- Social Security Card or Print Out
- Voter Registration Card
- Photo Work Identification Card
- Traffic Ticket
- Resident Alien Card
- School Identification Card
- Checkbook or Savings book (showing name and address)
- Champaign County Jail Photo ID Bracelet
- W-2 Form
- Bank Statement (within the past 90 days)
- Utility Bill (within the past 60 days)
- Active Insurance Policy (at least 1 year old)
- Vehicle Registration Card
- Current Lease
- Current 1st Class Mail
- Jail Discharge Papers (needs to be approved by County Clerk)
All documents must be current and valid.
$16.50 for the first copy, $13.00 for each additional copy when purchased at the same time.
- In Person:
- Check (# must be greater than 500)
- Credit/Debit Card ($1.75 service charge)
- Money Order
- Cashier Check
- Certified Check
- By Mail:
- Money Order
- Cashier Check
- Certified Check
- Make checks or money orders payable to: Champaign County Clerk
- Credit/Debit Card (2.35% service fee with a $1.00 minimum)
- Online orders can be shipped by Priority Mail or overnight via Federal Express for an additional cost.
Search for Birth & Vitals Records
Fee rates apply to all searches for birth & vital records as stipulated in: (410 ILCS 535/25) Any local registrar or county clerk shall search the files of birth, death and fetal death records, upon receipt of a written request from any applicant entitled to such search. If upon search the record requested is found, such local registrar or county clerk shall furnish the applicant one certification or certified copy of such record, under the seal of such office, upon payment of the applicable fees. If the requested record is not found, the local registrar or county clerk shall furnish the applicant a certification attesting to that fact, if so requested by the applicant and upon payment of applicable fee.
4. Civil Unions On File In Champaign County:
2011 to present. The Champaign County Clerk's office has civil union licenses for only those who were civilly united in Champaign County.
5. To Obtain Civil Union License Copies In Person:
To obtain a certified copy, with a raised seal, of a Civil Union License in person stop by our office at:
1776 East Washington Street, Urbana, IL (mapexternal link)
6. To Obtain Civil Union License Copies By Mail:
To obtain a certified copy, with raised seal, of a Civil Union License by mail, your request must include a photocopy of your driver's license or acceptable ID, the names of the partners in the union, date of civil union, your written signature, payment (Money Order, Cashier Check, or Certified Check) and return address.
Please mail civil union certificate requests to:
- Champaign County Clerk
- 1776 East Washington Street
- Urbana, IL 61802
7.To Obtain Civil Union License Copies Online:
To obtain a certified copy, with raised seal, of a Civil Union License online, you must send a copy of your valid driver's license or acceptable ID and your written signature to us either by fax ((217) 384-1241) or by email (email@example.com) and fill out the request formexternal link.
Note: Any person who with the intention to deceive, willfully uses or attempts to use any certificate of birth or certified copy of a record of birth knowing that such certificate or certified copy was issued upon a record that is false in whole or in part or that relates to the birth of another person, is guilty of a Class 4 felony in the state of Illinois.