- What is Early Voting
Early voting is the opportunity to vote in-person before Election Day. All eligible voters can vote early and they can vote at ANY of the early voting locations. Voting early is no different from voting on Election Day. If you have not changed your voter registration address or name since the last election and your signature matches, you should not need to show ID. If you have updated your voter registration address or name or your signature does not match, you will be asked for ID. This is the same process if you voted on Election Day.
Early voting opens 40 days before Election Day at the County Clerk’s office and 14 days before Election Day at additional sites throughout the county.
Once a voter has voted early, they cannot rescind that vote. It is final. If you are not planning to vote by mail, early voting is a great way to vote without adding to the traffic and congestion of Election Day voting.
- When & Where To Early Vote
Champaign County Clerk's Office, Brookens Administrative Center, Gymnasium - Early Voting Schedule
- September 24, 2020 - October 18, 2020, Monday-Friday, 8:30AM-4:30PM
- October 19, 2020 - November 2, 2020, Monday-Friday from 8AM-7PM and Saturday & Sunday from 9AM-5PM.
The Administrative Center is located at 1776 E Washington St, Urbana, IL 61802. Parking for the gymnasium is on the north side of the building, off of Art Bartell Road.
On October 19, 2020 11 other sites around the county open for early voting.
October 19, 2020 - November 2, 2020, Monday-Friday from 10AM-6PM and Saturday from 10AM-3PM, & Sunday from 1PM-5PM at all of the sites listed below.
- Activities and Recreation (ARC) – 201 East Peabody Drive, Champaign, IL 61820
- Illini Union – 1401 West Green Street, Urbana, IL 61801
- Lake of the Woods, Elk's Pavilion, 301 Senna Drive, Mahomet, IL 61853
- Leonhard Recreation Center, 2307 Sangamon Drive, Champaign, IL 61821
- Meadowbrook Community Church, 1902 South Duncan Road, Champaign, IL 61822
- Parkland College, Student Life Center, 2400 W Bradley, Champaign, IL 61821
- Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 802 East Douglas Street, St. Joseph, IL 61873
- The Church of the Living God, 312 East Bradley Avenue, Champaign, IL 61820
- The Gathering Place (First United Methodist Church), 200 South Century Boulevard, Rantoul, IL 61866
- Tolono Public Library, 111 East Main Street, Tolono, IL 61880
- University YMCA, 1001 S Wright St, Champaign, IL 61821
- What To Expect When Early Voting
When you vote in person, please wear a mask to protect yourself, fellow voters, and the Election Judges. Once you arrive, check in at the table with the Election Judges. They will ask for your name, possibly your date of birth, and have you sign on the signature pad. Once that signature has been verified to match the signature we have on record, you will be checked in and given the appropriate ballot.
Take your ballot and pen to a voting booth. Your children can accompany you into the voting booth. Please ensure they are not disruptive to the other voters and do not infringe on anyone's privacy. You can also take candidate materials or a list of candidates you want to vote for into the booth with you. They need to be brought in discretely and not shown to other voters.
There will be instructions in the voting booth on how to correctly fill out your ballot and the Election Judge will demonstrate it for you. Filling in the oval for your chosen candidate thoroughly is important as that is how the machine reads your vote. If you make a mistake on your ballot, you can return it to the Election Judge and you will be given a new one.
Once your ballot is completed to your satisfaction, place in the ballot privacy cover with the top 2 inches sticking out. Take your ballot in the cover to the tabulator machine, usually located near the exit. The Election Judge there will need to verify the check in Judge initialed the top of your ballot and then you can place it in the tabulator. The tabulation machine is programmed to alert voters if they do not vote in a race or vote for too many candidates in a race. Please watch the screen until it says your ballot has been cast. If there are any issues reading your ballot the machine will stop it and ask you to address them. You are not obligated to change your ballot and the screen will provide the option to accept the ballot as is or return it to you for changes. It is your choice.
Take an "I Voted" sticker and you're done!